Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wedding Dresses: A Survey

I often hear or read a quote from some woman saying that she hopes her daughter or granddaughter will wear her wedding dress. Perhaps this is a way to justify the expense for a dress that will be worn once.

My question: have any of you, or your wives, worn an heirloom wedding dress, passed down from a family member? Or, have any of your daughters worn their mothers' or grandmothers' wedding dress?

Bonus question: Once it become clear that the dress will not be worn, what have you done with it? Let it hang in the closet? Donate it? Further bonus: how long did it take to get to this point?

4 comments:

saraeanderson said...

Mine was an "heirloom" in that I bought it on eBay. It's been sitting in my closet for almost three years now. I keep meaning to reBay it.

Alan said...

I saw the pic of it on your website. Very attractive dress, and of course, no one would know its origin. Seems a dress with a bit of history is more interesting.

Anonymous said...

Bah. I bought mine on sale at a discount shop. The top and the skirt were separates, and I was going to have them died back when I thought I had a career. Once it became clear that i was delusion i donated it.

Anonymous said...

I wish my mother had had a dress I could have worn. I think it's a lovely tradition, but it's not for everyone, or every dress. My daughter says she wants to wear mine, but she isn't obligated, truly. If the time comes and she's changed her mind, I will happily help her find the dress of her dreams, within the budget. And no strapless in church, for crying out loud.

Just on a crusade to bring back some couth,
Jill