Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Haircut


Betsy Russell has a photo of Gov Otter on her blog here, and boy it looks like the Gov needs a haircut. I cropped the photo, but check out the larger original. It's even better. I wonder what the photographer was thinking as he or she lined up that shot. Kind of funny.

*****

And on another note, I would appreciate any thoughts about blogger etiquette for this. I didn't take the picture originally, but I did copy it from Russell's website. I didn't use the entire original. I cropped it substantially, perhaps constituting fair use even though I didn't add anything to it. I'm certainly not making any money from this. I credited the pic and linked to it. Is that enough? Is it inappropriate to use someone else's pic like this? Is it borderline cheesy/okay? Just fine? Inquiring minds want to know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Using someone else's photo is rarely going to be considered "fair use" for a photo, but it happens every day and there's far too much of it for any serious attempts at policing it to occur.

Anonymous said...

True, it is widespread, but is it good blog manners?

Bubblehead said...

I've always thought that as long as you 1) link back to where the photo is posted, and 2) don't hotlink it (i.e. put the one you're posting on your own server, so you're not taking up their bandwidth) it's OK. If they ask you to take it down, though, the law is probably on their side.