Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Immigration

A few years back I lamented to a friend the lopsided GOP-Dem balance in Idaho, and I expressed the hope that Idaho would gain some balance as folks moved here. I figured that if people moved here in normal political proportion, it couldn't help but raise the number of Dem voters vis-a-vis Republicans. Most of Idaho's immigration is from California, and CA is majority Dem, so that's got to help, right?

Well, my unsympathetic friend disabused me of my hope. He said that people who are tired of Dems or perceived liberalism in their area often look around for a bastion of conservatism. They want to be around like-minded people. As they look around, Idaho stands out as an island of sanity (for them). So, our immigration is heavily GOP and conservative.

Over the last years, it appears I was wrong and my friend was right.

No comments: