Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Sali's Labor Day Picnic

I went to Bill Sali's Labor Day picnic in Meridian, and here's what I saw and heard. I was driving home from Best Buy and kind of just stumbled across the event, so I stopped and observed.

In his fairly short speech to the crowd, Sali did indeed attack Larry Grant as a tax and spend liberal. Big surprise. I mostly heard recycled phrases used by every other R when trying to attack a D. "My opponent thinks the government knows better how to spend your money than you do." I just heard a bunch of slogans strung together, with little specifics. I'll review the video I shot and see if I can pick out any specific criticisms.

Sali did say that he will work to protect Social Security, and maybe even increase the beneifts a bit. So, I guess this means he won't support the R initiative to privitize Social Security. If I got that on tape I'll post it also.

Sali says he can save SS by cutting the fat out of the administration of the SS system. Didn't identify any specifics, just said that efficiency savings would do the trick.

Overall, Sali spent way more time attacking Grant than he did saying why he (Sali) should be elected.

Other pols showing up were pretty much of Sali's brand of conservatism. Gerry Sweet, Shirly McKague, Russ Fulcher, and Tom Luna. Bryan Fischer was there. Nobody else, though, politician-wise, unless you count be-kilted precinct captain Adam Graham.

I counted heads three times, and each time came up with between 90-100 people at the BBQ, excluding kids. Some folks came and left, so the actual number attending would be a bit higher. Most stuck around to see Sali's speech and to see him play in the band.


This pic of Luna reading an IVA voter guide was staged for the benefit of the cameraman in the red hat next to the yellow balloon. Look for some version of this to appear either on IVA's or Luna's flyers or website. That's Bryan Fischer standing there in the white shirt, looking on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I don't bite. You could have said "Hi, nice kilt."

One thing you have to consider is people were coming and going all day. It started at Noon.

Bill Sali doesn't have a specific plan out yet, but I think people do get a better benefit with private accounts.

In addition, I would say that while Bill Sali raised issues about Larry Grant, they were on the issues, not as Larry Grant has done in various parts of the state, using quotations to lodge personal attacks on the candidate.

You actually missed at least some Political leaders who were there including Fmr. Rep Henry Kulcyzk.

And I'm totally surprised that only people who support Bill Sali showed up at the picnic, that and liberals grabbing a few burgers and photos. :)

Anonymous said...

And by the way, this was not the place for a major policy address. People wanted to hear from the man and get back to having fun.

Julie Fanselow said...

Wow, 90 to 100 people? I'm guessing Boise's Labor Day picnic (officially nonpartisan, but definitely Dem slanted) attracted perhaps three or four times that number.

And Adam, FYI, I have not heard Larry using the many fun quotes that Mr Sali's Republican colleagues use to describe him. The quotes are out there for sure, but Larry isn't the one quoting them. He's too classy for that.

Speaking of hugs, I was unnerved when - during the Meridian Dairy Days parade - Larry went over and clapped his arm around Russ Fulcher. Turns out they worked together at Micron, though, and had a friendship that transcended politics because of that. But I sense that few people can have that sort of friendship with Bill Sali because he just rubs most people the wrong way.

slfisher said...

Hey, Adam! Do you go regimental?

I can't wait to see the Luna photo in the paper, captioned "I KAN TOO REED."