Tuesday, November 15, 2016

White Nationalist in the White House

Bleh.  That election didn't go like I was hoping or expecting.  And as usual, any forecast I made was off the mark; when will I learn...?

Ah well, I'm trying to be philosophical, but it's going to take some time.

In the meantime, I'm watching the hue and cry over Trump hiring Stave Bannon as his strategic adviser.  Yes, his Brietbart news organization does appear to cater to white nationalists, and that seems wrong for a key administration adviser.  But, other than some alleged comments (reported by an ex-wife, so, you know, not exactly a disinterested reporter) about him not wanting his kids to be around Jewish people, I haven't seem much specifically attributed to him.

Yes, yes, yes, it's important to oppose Trump and drag him down and mess him up and move him sideways in order to stymie his forward progress (from my view, advancing to the rear), but I don't sign on to the slightly unhinged nature of it.  I'm not comfortable piling on the guy before we're clear that he's actually going to be a negative in that position.

And, is that really a negative?  I mean, if you're on the left it is hateful for a(n alleged) white nationalist to promote such policies at the highest level of our government.  But won't that just  hinder their effectiveness and hasten their demise?  If that view is truly out of favor in our country it will be exposed as such. And if it's not, well, .... well,  then we've got bigger problems than I thought.

No comments: