Monday, December 12, 2011

I wonder

I have a friend whose job brings him in contact with claim of embezzlement by various businesses and institutions. He was telling me about a recent case of a woman embezzling from her employer. I asked him what is the ratio of men to women in the embezzlers he's run across.

He thought for a bit and got a funny look on his face and said, every one has been female. Since then I've asked others and gotten the same answer. And of the few cases I've run across, it's also always been a woman.

Now, I'm not saying that only women embezzle; of course not. Just, at least around these parts, it seems to be way more likely to be a woman than a man.

I wonder why.

2 comments:

ericn1300 said...

Historically women have been the grossly underpaid bookkeepers in homes and businesses giving them both more opportunity and motive to embezzle.

My wife of twenty plus years is the bookkeeper here and now that you've mentioned it I just realized that she has the check book and all I get are the deposit slips!

Alan said...

I think your point is probably correct; motive and opportunity, coupled with economic stress.