Friday, December 16, 2011

I loves me sum gummint regulations

Especially the CALM Act.  I hate it when I'm peacefully trying to watch some program or other, and suddenly a commercial blares onto the screen with the volume loud enough to scare my dog and blow the paper off the coffee table.  The CALM Act authorizes the FCC to do something about that.

I know, I know, nanny state.  Well, if so, I say bring it on.  The flipping free market does not work in that instance.  Me scrambling for the mute button on the remote is completely unknown to the advertiser.  My resolve to note the offender and boycott the product inevitably fades between watching the show and whenever I might be in the market for laundry soap, or whatever.  Plus, lots of the loud commercials are for stuff I don't buy anyway.

You know, some people just can't be trusted to do the right thing.  They will take advantage and exploit and do anything that they perceive in their interest, and yours be damned.  That's why we have prisons.  Disrupting the calm in my household is a tiny thing, but it happens umpteen times a day, so that adds up.  In some cases it causes me to completely turn off the show or the TV, denying me the pleasure of being a total couch potato slug.  A pleasure that's difficult to defend, but neverthless one that should not be someone else's to deny.

Government regulations have their place.  And praise be for the CALM Act.

No comments: