Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I've got a feeling...

That I can't shake.  I certain part of my body is feeling abused.

The bipartisan citizen redistricting commission just established the new congressional distrcit lines, and yet again, Ada County gets split up. Now, I know that the Western part of the county is pretty red, so I 'spose it doesn't affect election outcomes all that much.  Still, it just seems an obvious gerrymander to split the largest city/metro area into two districts, especially when that metro area is slowly turning bluer and bluer.  As I understood it, they could have left Ada intact, and moved some other area, Canyon County I think, and got the same population split.

2 comments:

ericn1300 said...

It's always been a tradition to split Ada County between the two districts so as to dilute the urban vote. What encourages me is the moving of the line to the west to include more of Boise in district 2. District 2 includes such hot beds of liberalism or at least moderation such as Pocatello, TF, Blaine County and now even more of Boise while district 1 remains lost to the hard right

Alan said...

Right; split the urban vote and dilute Ada County's voting power. Hopefully changing population will eventually cause that to cease.