Thursday, November 05, 2009

Boehner's a bonehead

I saw a clip of Rep Boehner speaking to the tea party rally today in Washington, D.C. He pulled out what appeared to be a copy of the US Constitution (it was the prop de jure, I saw others waving it around as well), he waved it around, and said (this is close, but not a quote):

I've got a copy of the Constitution here. Let me read what it says in the preamble. "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal; they they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights;that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

I was a bit surprised to hear this from him. First off, I thought, that's rich. In Boehner's world, all men are created equal, except gay men. Those guys we have to deprive of the liberty to get married and pursue unhappiness.

And next, of course, I realized that he was quoting the Declaration of Independence. The Preamble to the Constitution goes like this:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Man, those guys could write! I wish I had a fraction of their ability.

****

I am reminded of a story, true or not I don't know but I like it anyway. Supposedly lawyers and doctors in Texas wanted to foster better relations with each other, so they set up some social events. At one dinner, after eating, and of course drinking - after all, there were lawyers there - one lawyer rose to make a toast. It went something like this. "A toast to our professional forebears. To ours, who wrote the Declaration of Independence, and to yours, who tried to cure George Washington by bleeding him."

****

And along those lines, I saw a commercial on TV tonight by some lawyers trying to drum up some mesothelioma cases. They included some testimonials, in which one lady said this (and I am quoting): "They were not just lawyers; they were human beings." Unlike most lawyers, I guess. Good grief, how low is the bar for lawyers that they brag about being human beings.

No comments: