Thursday, August 20, 2009

Death panels

I was meeting with a social worker this afternoon to discuss options for my sister. Sis is only 57, but is declining and headed for more and more intensive care. Anyway, at one point, the social worker was asking Sis about a living will and what choices she might make. I started to laugh, and they looked at me.

It was a Sarah Palin moment. Talking about a living will, according to Palin, is a death panel. So there ya go, I've actually been through a death panel.

2 comments:

Sisyphus said...

I never draft a Will for a client where I don't 'push' a Living Will. Its stupid for our society to ignore the one thing we're sure of when we're born, that we're going to die. Maybe I should put death panelist on my business cards.

fortboise said...

And of course in Idaho, the Living Will has been combined with the other necessary thing, a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care.

The Funeral Consumers Alliance of Idaho has a form based on current Idaho Code, and other information resources to consider, available at no cost.

Funny that the Terry Schiavo debacle hasn't been brought up during the current folderol...