Thursday, March 05, 2009

The new Statesman

I subscribe to the Idaho Statesman, and have since I moved here, and probably always will. Reading the paper is just part of the AM routine. So I've seen all its various permutations over the years.

The Statesman just had another redo, and in large part it looks like they returned to a previous format. Early impressions? I like the smaller size; its easier to handle. I don't think the paper shrunk that much, maybe an inch in width, and an inch or 2 in height, but it feels quite a bit smaller.

I think the paper said last Sunday when it announced the changes that the funnies were going to be a bit bigger. I think I remember that. But, it looks to me that they shrunk the funnies. At least they got rid of that execrable ad at the bottom of the page. I'd bet that subscribership is higher in my demographic, aging and balding, than it is among younger folks. So, bearing that in mind, and that we older folks can't see as well as we used to, I wish they'd stop shrinking things. I can barely read the funnies, they're so small. If it ever gets to the point where I can't read them at all, that's when I cancel the subscription.

Not sure yet about the content.

No comments: