Thursday, August 02, 2007

Kuna Days

The Statesman has a puff piece on Kuna Days coming up this weekend. Nice of the Statesman to help promote the festival.

However, the article refers twice to a "street dance" for adults 21 and older in the Cowgirls parking lot. Up to a couple of years ago, Kuna had an actual street dance and it was a hoot. They'd close off Main Street, put a band on the back of a semi, and go for it. They'd also allow folks in that vicintity to drink alcohol. Of course, some folks failed to act responsibly, but most behaved.

Well, that's over with. Last year the dance in the Cowgirls parking lot was just an extension of Cowgirls. A temporary fence was erected around the parking lot, high enough that you couldn't even see into the parking lot. It cost $10 (I think, maybe $15 or $20) to get in. Not even the same thing. Just a great money-making opportunity for Cowgirls.

The chairman's statement that "It is the best family event in the Treasure Valley, without a doubt," is an overstatement. There are a few events, but nothing that approaches "the best family event."

The change was made when I was out of town for 18 months, so I missed it. But the Kuna Melba News printed some letters accusing the mayor and a couple of council member, all of whom are or were in the same church, of imposing their morality on Kuna Days. If any reader has more info, I like to hear it in the comments. Whatever the motivation, Kuna Days isn't the same.

RIP, Kuna Days.

3 comments:

slfisher said...

You don't have to be LDS to hate having drunken people vandalizing the neighborhoods surrounding downtown after the street dance -- which still goes on, now that it's at Cowgirls instead.

Anonymous said...

With all the scrutiny from the Kuna PD/sheriff, I'd be surprised if very much unpleasantness happened around Cowgirls. The biggest complaint I've seen lately is about noise, primarily loud motorcycles revving up. That seems like something the police could easily stop.

Also, I think the council could get a bit more creative to address the problems. If someone's property is damaged, pay for it from a fund created by adding a bit to the permits issued to participate.

And another thing. If the city wants the dance off the street, okay, but allowing Cowgirls to fence it off, charge admission and monopolize it isn't a good solution.

Generally I think the mayor and council just weren't/aren't behind Kuna days. Seems like it draws enough interest that it could be a plus for the community if properly handled.

slfisher said...

Well, my mother-in-law didn't say whether she lost her mailbox again this year, so perhaps they did crack down on it more.

Personally, if they really want to make it a family friendly event, they'd quit selling alcohol.

I was bummed because I went over at 1 pm to get a sandwich and everything was already shut down. I could get a hot dog, I was told. Swell. I have hot dogs at home. All the vendors signed contracts saying they would be there through the afternoon, and the majority of them were packed up and gone by 10 am. If that's what's going to happen, that's fine, but I wish they wouldn't advertise it as continuing through Sunday, then.

I'd like to see more focus on Kuna history. I liked the cowboy poetry. And I'd like to see the vendors being people from Kuna.