Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Progressivism

In a comment at F-words, Binkyboy lists what he believes are tenets of progressivism.
Do you believe that welfare is a necessary thing, that helping the poor, the injured, the repressed is worth the time? Do you understand why hyper-religion is so dangerous to America, but normal religion is healthy? Do you understand why equality amongst the sexes and races is worthwhile and still unaccomplished? Do you feel that spending must be equal or smaller than income, and that sometimes that means that taxes have to increase? Do you understand class warfare and the swinging of the pendulum in relation to extremes?
I think these are pretty descriptive of Progressive values, perhaps among others.

What would you add to the list?

Update: Per anon comment, changed title and a misspelled word.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to go all spelling-cop on you, but it's not tenents or tenants but _tenets.

Anonymous said...

thanks anon :) I wrote that in a hurry. I'm actually surprised anyone reads my comments

Anonymous said...

oh, nevermind.. I had thought that was in my original comment on f-words.

Shame on you for your horrible misspelling and making me feel bad, Alan! :)

Bubblehead said...

I hadn't seen that comment (which was addressed to me), but to answer BinkyBoy's question in the part of the comment Alan didn't post, the answer is: No, I'm not a liberal (even though I do consider myself an Idaho Democrat), and I'm pretty sure I don't have to pass a quiz from you in order to consider myself an Idaho Democrat.

Anonymous said...

Bubbles, I never said you have to pass a quiz. I want to know where you are coming from. Is your new party affiliation created completely from the vengeance perspective or are there other reasons?

You're an important case. You offer an opportunity to understand how a conservative can be convinced to switch parties without switching core beliefs (conservatism vs. liberalism).

I'm not trying to attack you but figure you out. Stop being so defensive and discuss things.

Bubblehead said...

Fair enough. Last year, I posted why I had become disgusted with the Republicans who had taken over the party. I especially believe that it's unconscionable to have deep tax cuts during a war when the deficit is so high. I believe in the two party system, and I've found that Democrats in Idaho are less likely to be conspiracy theorists (and therefore they understand better how the world really works) than the black helicopter gang represented by Bill Sali and his ilk. Obviously, there are some Democrats who are way out there in la-la land, but they don't seem to have any real power in the State party, and pretty much stick to posting on 43SB. For the Republicans, the whackjobs seem to control the party.

At this point, I still can't see myself voting for a Democrat for President, but I'm not completely counting it out.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, good jab. That was almost like humour!

We'll make a liberal of you yet, Bubbles.