Friday, June 02, 2006

Birdwatching

Just to show that I’m not only interested in politics, you can see this website.

The site hosts picture of birds in Iraq. When I was stationed there, I searched the internet for a book of birds in Iraq and couldn’t find one in print. My sweetheart sent me a Birds of Israel book, which was pretty close, though not complete

Soldier Jonathan Trouern-Trend has now written a book on the subject, Birding Babylon. A reporter for Voice of America has reported on the book, and the online page links to the Iraq Birds Gallery.

At the gallery you can see photos I and others sent to Laura Erickson which she posted. I have pictures (in taxonomic order, according to Laura) of a Kestrel, Black-Winged Stilts, a Pied Avocet, Red Wattled Plovers, Common Snipes, a Green Sandpiper, a Laughing Dove, a Blue-Cheeked Bee Eater, a Yellow Wagtail, a Desert Wheatear, a Magpie, and House Sparrows.

No comments: