Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Sali, again

BSU radio played a clip of Rep. Sali "apologizing" on Tuesday regarding his speech about linking breast cancer to abortion. I put the quotation marks around the word because it was a non-apology apology. He said something like "If there is something to apologize for then I apologize." I can't recall the quote exactly, but that captures the gist of it.

Had he been completely honest, he would have said something like "Many folks are upset with me and think I should apologize. I don't think I did anything to apologize for, but to appease my critics I'll go through the motions of an apology, even though my heart's not in it."

After his non-apology he went on to reassert that he believes what he was saying about the link and he has information to share if anyone wants to see it.

And on a related point, I do not understand how talking about a link between abortion and breast cancer could drive a person to tears. Even though Ms. Jaquet is a breast cancer suvivor and sensitive to the issue, she has been around and must have heard plenty that she disagrees with. I think there must be more to the story than I been able to learn.

1 comment:

Just Callin' It Like I See It said...

Did you watch the video from 43rd State Blues?

http://www.43rdstateblues.com/video/Reps_Boe_and_Smith_040806.wmv

The reps shared their perspective of what happened.

If Wendy DID leave in tears, then I can only imagine that the environment was extremely hostile and offensive. Abortion and breast cancer are two issues that are quite personal to women. I can't even think of anything that would impact a man in the same way. I'm not trying to bash "men", but society has a history of victimizing women (wages, occupational restrictions, health care, rights, etc.) and it can get exhausting and demoralizing. Yes, we are getting better but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

And I'm sure she wouldn't have been the first politician (male OR female) who has become emotional during the legislative process. To generalize (I know this is stereotyping but isn't it more true than not?), men tend to attack, rage, bluster, and get in your face when they are frustrated or angry... women tend to cry.