Friday, March 03, 2006

Newcomb Retires

My inaugural posting, for this blog. I've been keeping another since summer of '04, A blog about my deployment to Iraq.

Most likely, no one will read this, but you never know.

Today the Idaho Statesman led with an article about the retirement of House Speaker Bruce Newcomb. As I commented over at "The Political Game" blog I'm happy to see him go but worried about what kind of whacko will replace him. The climate right now is so conservative that I suspect his replacement will not be even a moderate. I'm hoping that as the Bush Administration and Rs in congress run into trouble this year, the pendulum will begin to swing back toward the center. But for now, I suspect the next legislatue will be very conservative and Red.The bigger worry, though, is who will replace BN as Speaker. That person will have much more influence that BN's replacement legislator.

I gagged a bit over Dan Popkey's praiseful story about BN. "BN's such a nice guy!" Okay, it's good to be a nice guy, but even nice guys can still hold odious views.

1 comment:

Tara A. Rowe said...

Alan, I am REALLY excited about your new blog! Keep up the good work and let me know when you're ready for some serious readers and I'll add you to the blogroll!